Thursday, February 2, 2012

Read to Me Challenge: Quiet Bunny


Book: Quiet Bunny
Written and Illustrated by: Lisa McCue
Theme: Be Yourself
Written for 4-8  year olds

Synopsis: Quiet Bunny, beautifully depicts sounds of animals in the forest and yes, it includes a particularly wise owl. Quiet Bunny is just that- a quiet bunny. He desperately wants to find his own voice so that he can join the other animals in singing the night song. He tries imitating his forest friends, but fails. Finally, after following some wise advice from an owl, he discovers his very own bunny sound.


I've been watching you, Quiet Bunny," said the owl. "It doesn't matter how hard you rub your feet together, or flap your ears, or puff up your cheeks, you will never make the sound of a cricket, or a bat, or a frog. You are a Quiet Bunny. Be whoooooo you are, and you will find your own bunny sound." - 

Critique from Room 502
Children love making noises. And that is exactly what my class did through the entire reading of this book. HOW RUDE, you say. It's not rude if the pages you are reading are filled with fun words like...ch- Cheet, like the cricket, ssssssssss like the hissing snake, or o-uuuu like the howling wolves ! Lisa McCue 's illustrations are fabulous. I wanted to jump in the book and roll in the grass with Quiet Bunny. My students did something at the end they have never done before. They clapped. You may think that kids clap all the time. Well let me just tell you my students are very special. For the most part at least one parent is in Jail and they live in a very violent neighborhood. This story made them feel good about themselves. I ask them why they clapped. Right from the mouths of babes," Quiet Bunny never gave up and that is what you always tell us, Never stop trying." I never expected to hear that! Needless to say, the 2nd grade critics from room 502 gave this book TEN STARS and a CLAP!

I also used this book during writing to teach the craft of onomatopias. And yes, all this week I have read ch-cheet at least 2o times in their writing. haha. You've got to love them.

Happy Reading Writing:)




8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! And Quiet Bunny sounds like my kind of book. So glad your kids enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susanna. It just goes to show great literature touches even the toughest kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have goosebumps reading this. Wonderful review! Thanks for sharing this book. I just added it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds wonderful, but I was hooked with the pictures. They are beautiful. I want it, I want it, I want it! (I sound like one of my kids.) So glad you shared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, the clap brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story Quiet Bunny is, and I love those illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, so glad you enjoyed the review. This book is a must for every writer.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    Happy Writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic illustrations! The story sounds great. How great to ge such wonderful reviews from your target audience. On my list as a must have.

    ReplyDelete